Friday, September 7, 2007

Why Mary Kate Olsen won't smile

You see a tabloid shot of Mary-Kate Olsen and think, "Why does she look so depressed?" Well, there's a reason for that.

"I don't want my picture taken," the 21-year-old actress tells Entertainment Weekly magazine. "The only time I think it's OK is at a red-carpet event or a photo shoot.

"So every time I see paparazzi, I cover my face so they don't get a picture, and I'm just 'the mean person who doesn't smile.' "

Olsen, whose waiflike figure has made her a target of media scrutiny, avoids public displays of attention.

"I would love to be able to swim in the ocean in Malibu," she says. "But that is asking for a bikini shot. That's inviting something that I don't want to happen. I don't need to be on a 'Who's Skinny, Who's Fat, Who's Looking Healthy, Who's Not Eating?' list."

After a hiatus from acting, Olsen -- who rose to fame on TV's "Full House" in a shared role with twin sister Ashley -- will portray an alluring Christian girl on Showtime's "Weeds." Her 10-episode arc begins September 17.

She also returns to the big screen in "The Wackness," co-starring Ben Kingsley. The film is slated for release next year.

2 comments:

Pankaj Varma said...

Mary Kate looks really pathetic in this pic ... and the tears or sweat in cold (?) has spoiled her make up making her look worse even further. I understand clumsy hair is a hair style in itself these days, but still she looks so depressed and at such as young age ... and even more surprising is that she has already bagged fame and riches and yet ... Maybe she is rehearsing for a sad movie shoot or something! and reached this mark with this attitude. Is this acting - putting a depressed look in public/ media? Are more sad movies in the offing/ demand? Rgds, Pankaj (Peter) Varma http://petervarma.blogspot.com 91 9810000163 Gurgaon New Delhi India

Pankaj Varma said...

I look forward to "The Wackness,"